Sunday, February 17, 2013

Dead Poets Society


     During this week in class, we dealt a lot with tv shows and movies and wrote was we thought was represented in each picture.  For this blog I decided to write about the Dead Poets Society.  It is an older movie but I have seen it a few times.  In the movie, Neil gets shipped to a school by his strict parents and makes so new friends.  Neil and his friends meet Professor Keating, who introduces them to the Dead Poets Society and pushes them to write against the Status Quo.  Neil also pursues his love of acting against his parents wishes, in which they want him to become a successful Doctor.  His father goes to a play that Neil wasn't supposed to be in but was anyway, and his father basically pulled him out by his ear and brought him home.  They then have a huge argument and Neil's father tells him that he is shipping him off to a military school in the morning.  Unable to cope with his fathers future plans and to show his father how he felt, Neil commited suicide using his fathers gun.  Neil's father decided that it was Mr. Keating's fault, and reports it to the school which then went under investigation.  Keating gets in trouble and is almost fired, but all the students take a stand for him.  This movie is a really good movie in my opinion, and conveys the element of emotion.  Neil was passionate for acting and his father wouldn't have that.  Mr. Keating tried to help the students and introduce them to writing in different ideas.  I highly recommend this movie to everybody who would like to see it.  I look forward to seeing everybody in class tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. I've never seen this movie, but after hearing so much about it I'll have to check it out. I thought this activity was really fun and interesting. I loved reading other people's comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard or seen this movie but I see how it ties in now with the class lesson. I'll definitely have to watch this movie. Sounds interesting. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't ever seen this movie either! I think that it also relates to a hero narrative. It sounds like Neil was really stuck under his fathers pressure, his father could be represented as the bad guy in the movie. Mr Keating could represent the hero because he encouraged the students and made them broaden their writing ideas. It really shows alot if the students stood up for him in the time when Neil had committed suicide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also wrote about this and talked about how we (in society) place judgements on people without not even knowing much about them. It is a problem that i feel too many people have come accustomed to. This assignment was partially and example of this, but it alsocan show how we can pick up on a lot just by looking from the outside.

    ReplyDelete