Sunday, February 3, 2013

Seeing the good or the bad..?




















     This week we spent time reading Peter Elbow's journal "The Believing Game or Methodological Believing."  This brought up a new aspect I have never seen before.  Peter was conveying his thoughts on how in school, we always criticize other students and teachers.  We sometimes discriminate, judge, hate on, whatever you want to call it about other students.  Some teenagers even talk crap about their friends behind their backs.  Peter Elbow was making a point about how we always see the bad and never see the good.  I never really realized it, but it's so true.  For example, say a criminal goes to prison for 5 years, comes out, gets his life together and becomes a big shot.  He will always be labeled as being a criminal and the bad he's done, rather than the good he has done in his life.  It is the same me in schools, businesses, and all around the globe.  I can relate to his journal, and that's also why I wrote about it in our daily writing.  I look forward to seeing all of you in class tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. Yes Peter Elbow definitely brings up a good point and I wrote about this on my blog as well. Why do we want criticize others first instead of praising them? Hopefully this way of thinking will change in the future. I definitely can't wait to uncover more of these ideas related to the believing game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was growing up my parents taught me the best lesson. It was called E.L.E. and it means Everybody Love Everybody. We need to accept people for who they are now when we know them rather than judge them on their past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am responding to the fact about others looking at the bad in each other and talking crap behind anothers back. This is one of the things that I hate becuase it shows that they are not big enough to solve their own problems. It can be hard to look at the positive in life, but it is important to realize what you have good going for you and run with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your entire post as well as the comments above mine. If we accept people for who they are and acknowledge that "things happen" we make it easier on everyone. We all make mistakes but one shouldn't judge someone because their mistakes vary. There's always a story behind everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thomas, thanks for bring this Peter Elbow thinking back up. The ideas about the believing game and the doubting game have been sticking with me, too. I am finding a lot of different contexts to think about how they apply.

    ReplyDelete